Brian Cohen Guitars: Terms of Trade
To commission a guitar
- A non-refundable deposit of Eu 1000 is payable in advance to secure any order.
- Price quoted in Euros and approximate delivery date will be fixed at the time of the order. For UK customers, the rate of exchange will be taken on the invoice date at the current 'mid-point' rate offered by our bank. For other EU customers, the invoice can be settled in Euros.
- Specifications to be agreed in general in advance at time of order but many of these can be changed at any time until construction has actually begun. Some changes may result in additional costs.
- When construction begins, the second advance payment equal to one third of the remaining balance will be requested, to be paid before any construction begins. Final payment will be requested 3 weeks before the instrument is due to be completed. All banking information will be provided with each invoice.
- Price will include UK VAT at the current rate, ( see below on the VAT element for non-EU purchasers)
- Price quoted will not include a case - We offer Hiscox Artiste, or Accord Flight, quoted at cost price.
- Cases ordered with a guitar construction commission will be charged at cost price only, and not the full retail price.
- Shipping is not included in the price, and will be charged at cost- We use FedEx, DHL or Parcelforce, and we will find the best service appropriate to your requirements.
- Price will include a CITES permit, or an Article 10 permit, if needed. ( Applicable to Brazilian Rosewood mainly). For exports to the USA, the price includes the paperwork for the 'Lacey Declaration' also
- Instruments come with an insurance certificate, (updated annually or as needed), a certificate of authenticity, and if requested, photographic progress of the instrument as it is being constructed. You are also welcome to visit during the construction process to see for yourself how things are done, by arrangement.
- NOTE: New guitars commissioned are now only available directly to the client. I no longer supply guitars to any dealer, and we pass on the resulting saving in price to the client. All guitars come with the 'lifetime warrantee,' applicable only to the original client.
CITES: New Regulations. New Cites Regulations, especially pertaining to ALL rosewood species, were introduced in January, 2017, and you can see the full extent by following this link, CITES REGULATIONS with special reference to musical instruments for personal use. See Para 3, 4, and 12, especially, in the Q and A section, but please also check with your own countries' CITES regulatory body, to be sure they agree with the terms, as each country can vary the terms on an individual basis.
I do sell some accessories from the shop, eg 'String Plates' by Luca Waldner, strings, cases etc- enquire please
Prices: Many of our products are sourced internationally, and exchange rates vary. We reserve the right to alter any price to reflect these currency fluctuations at any time without notice. We will try however to indicate this where possible, but it is not possible to update this entire website to reflect currency fluctations as they happen. While we try to maintain stable pricing as far as possible, please check before purchase to make sure the price you see is in fact the price currently in effect. In some circumstances, we have opted to price in Euros, because the rates of exchange can fluctuate very rapidly. To estimate a price in any currency, use the currency converter at www.xe.com . We use the commercial rate obtained from our bank on any given day which often will not be exactly the same as the rate quoted by xe.com.
VAT (Sales Tax) and Export: We are happy to ship anywhere in the world. Our prices include UK VAT at the current rate. However, if you are purchasing from a non-EU country, VAT can be zero-rated. We ship using the best courier for any particular country, usually DHL, FedEx, or Parcelforce, at cost. If you are inside the EU and VAT registered, we can supply inside the EU at zero rate in certain circumstances.
Payment: Payment is taken in advance, either via credit card, PayPal, or electronic transfer. Cheques accepted, but must be allowed to clear before items will be sent out. Items paid for by card will only be delivered to the card-holders' registered address. Existing account holders can order items, on either 7 day payment terms, or 30 days in special cases. A 2.6% surcharge is made for credit card purchases, or 3% surcharge for payments via paypal, but I prefer debit card payment or transfer where no surcharges apply.. Any bank / conversion charges for payments made in a foreign currency must be paid for by the purchaser at originating bank. All items remain the property of Brian Cohen/ SoundPost until paid for in full.
Cases: Cases are sent via courier, charged at our cost price. Packing is free. Delivery is extra, and not included in the price quoted. Typical prices are for most UK mainland addresses, £13.95 for Violin or Viola cases, £23 for Guitar cases and £30 for Cello cases. Bass cases quoted for on request. For remote addresses, there may be an additional charge- please check when ordering to get the correct price for your area.
Strings: Minimum order £10. Strings are sent via 'recorded delivery' or 'Special Delivery' only at a cost of £5 in the UK. All other delivery addresses charged for at cost, please enquire before purchase. Delivery via courier possible, for an extra charge at our cost price.
Not all products and instruments we stock are listed on the site however- so if you do not find what you want, call and ask- we may well have it, or know where to get it and can order for you. We are always pleased to discuss and advise. Opening times and all contact details, directions etc. on our 'Contact' and 'Directions' pages.